Carbon pipeline company has not ‘taken any state off the map’ after SD permit rejection

Date:

But Navigator CO2 pulls back on some operations while awaiting written decision

By Joshua Haiar and Jared Strong,

South Dakota Searchlight

         A recently failed permit application is not necessarily the end of a carbon capture pipeline company’s goal of building in South Dakota and four other states, according to a company spokesperson. 

         “We have not taken any state off the map,” Elizabeth Burns-Thompson, of Navigator CO2, told South Dakota Searchlight in an interview Friday.

         The South Dakota Public Utilities Commission unanimously voted Sept. 6 to deny Navigator’s application for a construction permit. 

         Since then, Burns-Thompson said, the Omaha, Nebraska-based company has released contracted land agents and walked back some business operations “in the South Dakota footprint.” The company is reallocating resources elsewhere, at least until it sees the written permit-denial order from the commission, which is due by Sept. 26.

three people on a low stage with sign behind saying Welcome to the property rights and CO2 pipeline debate
Elizabeth Burns-Thompson, vice president of government and public affairs for Navigator CO2, at left, debates state Rep. Jon Hansen, R-Dell Rapids, on Aug. 22, 2023, at the Dacotah Bank Event Center in Brookings as moderator Sara Frankenstein looks on. (Joshua Haiar/South Dakota Searchlight).

         “It’s important for us to see that in black and white,” Burns-Thompson said, adding she could not say what a new approach in South Dakota would look like “until we see that legal opinion.”

         Burns-Thompson said speculation that Navigator is giving up on the South Dakota portion of its project is based on text messages between some landowners and recently released contractors who are not company employees.

         “No letters or messages indicating a withdrawal from South Dakota were sent on behalf of Navigator,” she said.

         A northwest Iowa landowner reported receiving such a message.

         Amy Solsma, whose land is in the path of Navigator’s project, is among those whose easement negotiations have been suspended. A land agent contracted by Navigator told her the “project is getting shut down permanently,” according to a text message exchange.

         “It’s a small win because, trust me, I don’t believe anything they ever do,” Solsma said.

         Her farm in O’Brien County lies near the start of the pipeline’s potential link to South Dakota from Iowa. There’s a pipeline junction just to the east of the farm where it would branch to ethanol plants in Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska. Solsma said one of her neighbors received a similar message about the project. 

         State regulators in Iowa are set to consider a schedule for Navigator’s permit request next month. It’s unclear when a final evidentiary hearing will be set, but the company seeks a decision on its permit request by next fall.

         Navigator applied for its South Dakota permit in September 2022, outlining plans for a $3 billion, 1,300-mile pipeline to transport carbon dioxide in liquid form from 21 ethanol and fertilizer plants across five states to an underground sequestration site in Illinois. In eastern South Dakota, the project would cover 111.9 miles in Brookings, Moody, Minnehaha, Lincoln and Turner counties.

         Part of the project’s attraction is its eligibility for annual federal tax credits of $85 per metric ton of sequestered carbon. The federal government offers the credit as an incentive to remove heat-trapping carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and sequester it, as a means of combating climate change. Carbon dioxide is emitted by ethanol plants as part of the process of converting corn into the fuel additive.

         Another company proposing a similar project, Summit Carbon Solutions, also suffered recent rejections of its permit applications in North Dakota and South Dakota. Summit’s permit hearings in Iowa are ongoing.

         Summit has already sought reconsideration in North Dakota and has announced it plans to refine its proposal and reapply in South Dakota.

South Dakota Searchlight is part of States Newsroom, a network of news bureaus supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. South Dakota Searchlight maintains editorial independence.

Share post:

spot_img

Related articles

Veterans’ advocates say VA staffing cuts put vets out of work

Further impacts feared from Trump administration plan to cut 80,000 employees By Joshua Haiar,  South Dakota Searchlight Staffing cuts in the federal...

Legislature approves several new restrictions on citizen ballot measures

One proposal is headed to voters in 2026; others await the governor’s consideration By: Joshua Haiar South Dakota Searchlight Proposals to...

SD Senate replaces ‘locking up librarians’ bill with appeal process for obscenity determinations

By: Joshua Haiar - SD Searchlight, March 10, 2025 PIERRE — The South Dakota Senate gutted a bill Monday...

SD lawmakers whittle property tax relief ideas down to governor’s proposal

By: Makenzie Huber - SD Searchlight South Dakota lawmakers nearly came up empty-handed on their property tax relief campaign...

Log In

Latest articles

PUC advises to Call Before You Dig

The South Dakota Public Utilities Commission recognizes April as National Safe Digging Month and encourages South Dakotans to...

Plahn vs Jacobson in City Council Ward 2 seat race

The City of Garretson had several seats coming open this election season, though only one seat will be...

Maras takes over as new Minnehaha County Highway Superintendent

By Dave Baumeister, County Correspondent SIOUX FALLS – The “interim” was dropped from his title when Jacob Maras was named...

Garretson School Board approves contracts for McGregor and Hoekman, amends contract of Superintendent Johnson

The Garretson School Board had a Special meeting on Monday, March 31. After two hours in executive session the...

4th Grade Wax Museum brings history to life!

Garretson Elementary 4th graders have been delving into biographical history, and the culmination of their project was a...

ROD announces resignation; commissioners accepting applications for unexpired term

SIOUX FALLS – Minnehaha County Register of Deeds Amanda Halsey has announced her resignation effective July 4.  Elected in...
s2Member®